Traditional mushroom sauerkraut soup is a favorite recipe of Russian vegans, vegetarian and people who keep religious fasting. The recipe is easy and quite satisfying because it contains mushrooms. Besides, that is a healthy recipe. You can use it even for to get rid of a hangover.
- 0.9 pounds of sauerkraut
- 0.6 pounds of mushrooms, for example, oyster mushrooms
- 3 medium potatoes
- 1 big carrot
- 1 big onion
- 1 bunch dill
- 1 bunch of parsley
- 3 stalks celery with leaves
- olive oil
- salt and black pepper, to taste
1. Chop the onion and grate the carrot. Sauté 5 to 7 minutes until vegetables are tender.
2. Chop the celery, parsley, and dill. Cut mushrooms into small pieces and potatoes – into small cubes.
3. Add the mushrooms to the pan with onion and carrot. Stir well and simmer over small heat for 5-7 minutes.
4. Put the mushrooms, carrot, potato and onion in a saucepan. Pour 2 liters of hot water and bring to boil. Simmer for 10 minutes.
5. Rinse sauerkraut and add it to the soup. Simmer for 20-30 minutes until fermented cabbage is tender.
6. Then add pepper, salt (be very careful with salt) and chopped greens. Simmer 1-2 minutes.
That is all. Traditional Russian vegetarian sauerkraut soup with mushrooms is ready. You can serve it immediately. But mushroom sauerkraut soup will be more delicious if you leave it to stand for a few hours.