How long sauerkraut stays good depends on three main points:
- a recipe of fermented cabbage;
- a quantity of its brine;
- a storage place.
- A sauerkraut recipe . The traditional sauerkraut, which was fermented correctly, lasts for a long time. But if you have some kind of quickly fermented cabbage, it will be fresh in a few days only. Such kinds of sauerkraut have various additional ingredient – water, vinegar, sugar. They are not the real fermented foods. And so they don’t have antimicrobial properties.
- A quantity of its brine . The more brine in a jar, the longer sauerkraut lasts after opened. The fermented cabbage brine is a natural preservative. Dry sauerkraut without its brine doesn’t stay good more than several days. If even it is the traditional fermented food.
- A storage place . Sauerkraut should be kept in a cold place. In a hot room, it will be in a spoiled few hours.
How to Extend the Storage Period?
There are some tips, which help you to improve and expand the storage life of fermented cabbage.
- Always keep sauerkraut in the fridge and make sure that it is covered by its brine.
- If you opened it only once and you aren’t going to eat it every day sprinkle it with sugar or mustard powder.
- Add to a jar with sauerkraut fresh organic cranberries.
- Always buy or make the real traditional sauerkraut only.
- If you have as much sauerkraut that you can’t eat it fast, freeze it. This article tells you how to freeze fermented cabbage.