Just as sauerkraut with spices in Armenian, Georgian recipe for fermented cabbage is very spicy. And so if you do not like too spicy food, take less hot pepper than stated in the recipe.
The fermentation of cabbage for this recipe takes quite a long time – 5 days. During this time, the tastes of different vegetables mix with each other perfectly.
- 6-7 pounds of cabbage (you should chose small heads of cabbage, it is important)
- 3 pounds of beet
- 3 hot peppers
- 2 heads of garlic
- celery leaves
- 3 tablespoon of salt (without iodine)
1. Pour 2 liter of water in a pan. Add salt and bring to a boil over high heat. Set aside and chill. You should use cold salt brine.
2. Cut every head of cabbage into 5-8 pieces. It is depends on the size of cabbage.
3. Cut your beet into thin circles.
4. Slice garlic and hot pepper.
5. Put a few slices of beet on the bottom of a pan. Then put a small quantity of garlic, celery and hot pepper, then – a few pieces of cabbage. In that way you should fill all your pan. The last layer of vegetables must be the beet layer.
6. Pour your cold salt brine in the pan. Cover and keep at the room temperature for 5 days.
That is all. Spicy sauerkraut with beet is ready. Keep it in your fridge now.