Sauerkraut with horseradish and anise is an old-world Russian recipe. This fermented cabbage is well suited to cooking of Russian beet salad (vinegret). If you do not want to make vinegret, you can eat the sauerkraut with boiled potatoes and other boiled vegetables.
- 2,7 pounds of cabbage
- 0,2 ounces of anise
- 0,9 ounces of sugar
- 1 ounces of salt (without iodine)
- 1,1 ounces of horseradish
1. Grate horseradish using a blender.
2. Chop sauerkraut with help of Borner slicer or very sharp knife.
3. Make salt brine. Add salt and sugar to 1 liter of water. Bring to a boil. Then set aside to cool.
4. Add grated horseradish and anise to chopped cabbage. Stir very well squeezing vegetables. It is right if your cabbage gives its juice.
5. Pour your salt brine in the bowl with cabbage.
6. Put a plate on the top of cabbage. Put something heavy on the plate. Cabbage should be under salt brine.
7. Keep the bowl with cabbage at the room temperature for 3-5 days. Fermentation time depends on the room temperature and the variety of cabbage. You have to taste your cabbage for understanding it is ready or not. Start tasting sauerkraut after 3 days.
8. Bottom pierce the cabbage in few places with help of a wooden spoon. You should pierce for removing the cabbage gas that occurs during the fermentation process. If you do not remove the gas, your sauerkraut may be bitter.
Then sauerkraut with horseradish and anise is ready keep it in your fridge.