People who have not tried fermented cabbage in their lifetime or ate it one time only, often ask three question:
- what does sauerkraut taste like;
- how to make sauerkraut taste better;
- does kimchi taste like sauerkraut?
We will do our best to answer these questions in this article.
The Taste of Fermented Cabbage
In German language sauerkraut means sour + greens. And it is sour indeed.
But fermented cabbage which is good has more complex taste than just sour. It is a bit spicy, a bit sweet, a bit salted.
Kimchi is spicier and less sour than sauerkraut. This Korean recipe always uses a lot of spices while the traditional fermented cabbage doesn’t contain any spices at all.
How to Make Fermented Cabbage Taste Better?
- If you make fermented cabbage at home, try recipes with additional ingredients. They have the more rich taste. You can try both the most traditional recipes with apples, with cranberries and original recipes with apples and grapes or with horseradish and anise. And many, many others.
- If you have bought the sauerkraut and its taste isn’t pleasant for you, add some additional components to it. In other words, make something like a salad with fermented cabbage. Add apples, cranberries, beet, potato and etc.
- If your sauerkraut is too sour, rinse and drain it.
- It is possible to add some sugar to fermented cabbage. This method of making sauerkraut taste good is not very healthy. But it works well when the product is too sour.
- It is possible to add some sugar to fermented cabbage. This method of improving sauerkraut taste is not very healthy. But it works well if the product is too sour.
- Eat fermented cabbage with olive oil.
- To obtain delicious sauerkraut by making it at home, use only the right head of cabbage and salt without iodine.
- Never make fermented cabbage in aluminum or other metallic saucepans or bowls. The taste of such relish is always disgusting.