There are many traditional soup recipes in Russia. But that soup – “Solyanka” is known as Russian soup.
You can cook the soup with pickled cucumbers or with pickled cucumbers and sauerkraut. The second type of recipe with sauerkraut is healthier than the first.
- 1.0-1.2 pounds of sauerkraut;
- 4 boiled hot dog sausages;
- 2 small smoked sausages;
- 7.0 ounces of ham;
- 7.0 ounces of veal sausage;
- 3-5 medium pickled cucumbers;
- 1 bell pepper;
- 1 onion;
- 2 tbsp. of tomato paste;
- olive oil;
- 1-2 bay leaves;
- black pepper, salt, parsley and dill, to taste.
Actually, you can use you any kinds of sausages or meat for Solyanka. And the more kinds of them you use, the better will be your soup.
- Rinse the sauerkraut and drain it if you think it is too sour. Then heat olive oil in a medium skillet over small heat. Add the sauerkraut and simmer, occasionally stirring, for 35-40 minutes until it is tender.
2. Cut all sausages into small pieces.
3. Chop the bell pepper and onion. Grete the carrot.
4. Cook the vegetables over medium-high heat until beginning to brown.
5. Add the sausages and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
6. Cut the cucumber into small circles and add them to the sausages and vegetables. Stir and cook for 1-2 minutes.
7. Stir in tomato paste and a little of water. Cover and simmer over small heat for 20 minutes.
8. Pour water in 5-liters pan and bring it to the boil. Add your sauerkraut and cook it for 15-20 minutes.
If you want to cook the real traditional soup “Solyanka”, use meat broth instead of water.
9. Add the sausages with vegetables, black pepper, salt, bay leaves, parsley and dill. Cover and cook over tiny heat for 5 minutes.
Serve it hot immediately.