Some people think that the best way to prepare sauerkraut is making it without salt because sodium is very harmful. This suggestion is not correct as the human body needs in NaCl. And there are dangers of restricting your salt too much.
Besides that, making sauerkraut without salt is more complicated than traditional recipes of fermentation.
But since some people want to know how to prepare sauerkraut without salt, we describe one such recipe.
- 13-14 pounds of cabbage (2 medium heads);
- 4.4-4.6 pounds of carrot;
- ½ cup dill seeds.
1. Chop the cabbage with a help of a sharp knife or Borner slicer.
2. Grate the carrots.
3. Toss the cabbage, carrots and dill seeds together in an enamel bucket or large saucepan.
Fill the bucket as tightly as you can.
4. Put something heavy (33-44 pounds) on the top for 12-36 hours at room temperature.
After this time, the cabbage will give its juice and will be covered by it.
5. Remove this heavy weight from the sauerkraut and put something lighter, a bottle with water, for example. Allow to sit at room temperature for 24-36 hours.
6. Keep the sauerkraut at room temperature for 3-6 hours.
That’s all. Fermented cabbage without salt is ready. Store it in a refrigerator in glass jars.