Kimchi is a Korean dish. As usual, it is made with Chinese cabbage. However, Russian kimchi recipe uses white cabbage. And we do not make kimchi is spicy as is customary in Korea.
As for health benefits, the recipe may not boast a huge amount of probiotics. Russian kimchi is hardly recommended for weight loss and curing anxiety. Nevertheless, it is a great side dish to beef, pork, duck, turkey and chicken.
- 1 big or 2 small heads of cabbage
- 5-6 ounces of salt (without iodine)
- 1 head of garlic
- 1 teaspoon of ground red pepper
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
1. Cut your cabbage. If you have a big head of cabbage cut it into 4 pieces, if you have small ones cut them into 2 pieces.
2. Make salt brine. Use 5-6 ounces of salt and 2 liters of warm (not hot) water.
3. Put pieces of cabbage in a big pan with salt brine.
4. Wait for 5 hours and then flip your cabbage.
5. Wait 5 hours again.
6. Mince garlic with help of garlic press.
7. Add sugar and ground red pepper.
8. Pour a little salt brine and stir well.
9. Remove pieces of cabbage from salt brine and cut them small strips.
10. Return cabbage into the pan. Stir in salt brine with garlic and pepper. Taste. If you think, your kimchi is not enough salted add salt.
11. Cover and keep in a refrigerator for 5 hours.
Quick Russian kimchi is ready now. Store it in your fridge.