The correct sour soup the sauerkraut requires fat meat. So the traditional Russian recipe for hot and sour soup is the recipe with fat pork. But there are other kinds of soups with sauerkraut, for example, easy vegan soup or lamb soup.
- 1 pound of lamb
- 2-2.2 pounds of sauerkraut
- 3 sprigs of rosemary
- 1 big onion
- 1 medium carrot
- 4-5 cloves of garlic
- 2-4 potatoes
- 1 tsp of black pepper
- olive oil.
1. Brown in a heavy bottomed saucepan the rosemary and lamb on both sides, about 3-5 minutes per side. Use olive oil if you have lean lamb.
2. Chop the onion and grate the carrot.
3. Remove the rosemary. Add the chopped onion to the meat. Simmer stirring for 3 minutes.
4. Add the grated carrot and simmer again for 3 minutes.
5. Stir in sauerkraut with its juice. Add ½ cup of hot water. Cover and simmer gently for 1 hour, stirring once or twice.
6. Fill the pan with hot water to the top. Add black pepper and boil for 30 minutes.
7. Meanwhile cut the potatoes into small pieces and boil them.
8. Add the garlic and boiled potatoes in the soup. Bring to boil and set aside.
Your sour cabbage soup with lamb is ready. But do not serve it immediately. To be delicious indeed any soup with sauerkraut should infuse for some hours. So cook the soup in the evening and eat it the next day.