Stew sauerkraut with kielbasa is the traditional dish of Russian and German cuisine. The recipe is very easy, quite quick and good for lunch and dinner.
You can use any kinds of sauerkraut and kielbasa for the recipe.
- 1 pound of sauerkraut
- 10 ounces of kielbasa
- 1 big onion
- butter or olive oil
If you are going to eat the dish hot use butter. And use olive oil if you want to eat it cold.
1. Taste your sauerkraut. If it is too sour for you, rinse it. If you think it is not very sour, do not rinse.
2. Put the sauerkraut in a pan. Pour water. Bring to a boil over medium heat and boil until fermented cabbage is tender.
3. Chop the onion and sauté it until beginning to brown.
4. Stir in boiled sauerkraut. Simmer stirring for 5 minutes.
5. Cut the kielbasa into ½-inch cubes.
6. Add cubes of kielbasa to sauerkraut. Stir well. Simmer over medium heat, occasionally stirring, for 15-20 minutes.
Stew sauerkraut with kielbasa is ready. But do not serve it immediately. The dish should mature for some hours as many other cabbage meals.