Kidney beans with pork and sauerkraut is a very satisfying meal. But it is nor heavy because sauerkraut improves your digestion and make the recipe healthy.
- 9 pounds of kidney beans (red or white)
- 2-2.5 pounds а sauerkraut
- 1 pound of pork shank
- 2 potatoes
- 5 ounces of smoked bacon
- 3-4 onions
- 1 carrot
- 3-4 cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp. of tomato paste
- 1 tbsp. of paprika
- 1tsp of caraway seeds
- 2 tbsp. of sugar
- black pepper, bay leaves, fragrant pepper, salt, to taste.
1. Pour water over the kidney beans. Soak beans for overnight in a cold place. Then boil your beans.
2.Boil the pork shank in a pot of water with carrot, bay leaves and fragrant pepper. Then cut the boiled pork shank into small pieces.
3. Cut the bacon into small cubes and sauté them for 2-3 minutes over medium heat. Remove the bacon from the pan and fry the chopped onion in bacon grease until beginning to brown.
4. Stir in paprika, caraway and sauerkraut. Sauté for 5-10 minutes over small heat, occasionally stirring. Then pour a cup pork broth over. Cover and simmer over small heat for 30-40 minutes.
5. Cut the potatoes into cubes and add them to the vegetables. Stir in the tomato paste and sugar. Pour a cup pork broth. Cover and simmer over small heat until sauerkraut and potatoes are tender.
6. Add the boiled pork and kidney beans, minced garlic, salt and black pepper. Simmer for 10 minutes.
Serve your kidney beans with pork and sauerkraut immediately.