This vegetarian stuffed eggplant recipe sometimes is called pickled eggplant. It is not correct because this is a method of the traditional fermentation of vegetables.
If you want to make vegan stuffed eggplants you should have:
- 8-10 eggplants;
- 5-6 fragrant peppercorns;
- 5-6 cloves;
- 1 cup of salt (without iodine);
- 2-3 carrots;
- 2-3 cloves garlic;
- parsley, to taste.
Do not use large overripe eggplants for this recipe. You should choose the hard young small eggplant.
- Remove the stem end of the eggplant.
- Boil the eggplants in strongly salted water with cloves and fragrant peppercorns for 15-20 minutes. How to understand that the eggplants are cooked? Try to pierce their rind with a help of a match. If it is pierced easily, the vegetables are ready. Be careful. Do not overcook them.
- Remove the eggplants from the water and put them on a flat surface. Place something heavy on them and allow standing at room temperature for 3 hours. The eggplant will lose their bitter taste and excess water.
- Chop the garlic and grate the carrot.
- Take a deep longitudinal section in each eggplant but not completely cut the vegetables.
- Salt them a little and put the chopped garlic.
- Add the grated carrot.
- Add the parsley.
- Join the edges of the eggplant halves.
- Put a heavy bottle on the vegetables. Let the vegetarian stuffed eggplants stand for two days at room temperature. And the other two days in a cold place.
The fermented vegan eggplants stuffed with carrot and garlic are ready. Serve them with olive oil and onion. A good side order to the dish is boiled potatoes.