Traditional Russian recipe for hot and sour fermented cabbage soup uses fat pork, for example, pork belly. However, if you do not like fatty soups you can use lean beef. But do not use chicken or turkey. Poultry is not suitable for this recipe.
And do not be afraid that the soup is heavy. As in the case of Swiss recipe of pork legs with sauerkraut, healthy sourness of fermented cabbage makes the dish easy to digest.
- 1 pound of pork belly
- 2 medium carrots
- 2 medium onions
- 4 medium potatoes
- 1 pound of sauerkraut
- 2 bay leaves
- dried dill and black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- butter (or pork lard, or ghee)
1. Boil pork belly in 3 liters of water. Do not forget remove scum that rises to the top and add 1 teaspoon of salt.
2. Strain pork broth into a clean pan. Cut your boiled pork belly into medium pieces and put them in the broth.
3. Cut your potatoes into chunks.
4. Grate carrots and chop onions. Roast them, occasionally stirring, with butter (or lard, or ghee) until beginning to soften, about 10 minutes.
5. Fry sauerkraut with butter for 5 minutes. Do not roast sauerkraut and onion with carrot together.
6. Set the pan with the broth and pork over medium heat and bring to a boil.
7. Then put cubes of potatoes in the broth and boil for 10 minutes.
8. Then add fried onion and carrot bring to a boil again and cook for 5 minutes.
9. Add sauerkraut, bay leaves, dried dill and pepper. Cook until vegetables are tender for your taste.
10. Cover the pan and set it aside.
Sour soup with fermented cabbage has to brew for some hours. Thus, you are able to cook it in the evening and use as your lunch food on the next day. However, do not forget. Pork sour soup is fatty and so it must be always hot.