This easy and healthy split pea soup recipe with sauerkraut is very ancient. Now the most common recipe for Russian hot sour soup with fermented cabbage uses potatoes. But Russia got to knew about potatoes in XVIII century only. Russian people had been cooking sour soups with peas until XVIII century.
That is one of such ancient recipes. And as all traditional dishes, it is healthy.
So, how to make split pea soup with sauerkraut?
- 1.2-1.3 pounds of raw pork belly;
- 1.2-1.3 pounds of sauerkraut;
- 3,5 ounces of split yellow peas;
- 1 bay leaf;
- fresh dill;
- butter, or ghee, or olive oil.
- In a saucepan, cover the peas with cold water and soak for 6-8 hours, or overnight. Then rinse the peas.
- Put the pork belly in another saucepan and pour in 2 liters of cold water. Cover and cook over small heat for 30 minutes.
- Add the soaked peas. You may also add 1-3 dried parsley roots.
- Cook until the pork is tender.
- While the pork and peas are cooking, rinse the sauerkraut and drain it. Warm the butter or olive oil in a pan. Add the sauerkraut. Sauté, for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer the pork to a plate. Remove its bone. Dice and return to the soup.
- Add the sauerkraut, bay leaf and dill. Bring to a boil and set aside.
Serve the yellow split pea soup with sauerkraut hot with sour cream or mayonnaise. Some people like to add a little mustard to their soup.