The sauerkraut and potato soup recipe came to Russia from Bavarian Alps. It is a thick soup, which is popular in winter.
- 5 leeks
- 2 onions
- 2 carrots
- 1 celery head
- 4 tablespoon of olive oil
- 5 ounces of cabbage
- 7 pounds of sauerkraut
- 1 tomato
- 5-7 potatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- a few fragrant peppercorns
- 5 ounces of bacon
- 4 tablespoon of sour cream
1. Chop your leek, celery head, one carrot, 1 onion.
2. Put the vegetables on a pan with hot olive oil and fry over moderate heat for 15 minutes.
3. Slice your tomato and chop cabbage.
4. Combine sliced tomato, chopped cabbage with the vegetables on the pan. Add your bay leaf and a few fragrant peppercorns. Pour little water and simmer over medium for 20 minutes.
5. Your vegetable broth is ready now. Remove the boiled vegetables from it.
6. Slice potatoes, one carrot and one onion. Put them in a heavy pan. Pour your vegetable broth in the pan. And simmer over moderate heat until the vegetables are ready.
7. Mash the vegetables. You should not mash your vegetables very well. The soup has to have small pieces of them.
8. Rinse your sauerkraut in a cold water.
9. Stir in sauerkraut and return to a boil over medium heat. Simmer over moderate heat until sauerkraut is tender.
Your German meatless soup with sauerkraut and potato is ready. But we are going to cook our soup with bacon.
10. Chop your bacon finely.
11. Put chopped bacon on a pan without oil.
12. Fry the bacon very well.
13. Put fried chopped bacon in your potato soup with sauerkraut. Add sour cream.
By the way, this hot potato soup with sauerkraut is one of the best ways to avoid a hangover.