As German potato soup with sauerkraut the “schupfnudeln sauerkraut” recipe came to Russia from Germany. And because potato and sauerkraut are very popular foods in Russia the German potato dumpling recipe is popular as well.
- 1.5 pounds of potato
- 0.6 pounds of flour
- 1 egg
- 2 yolks
- 1 pounds of sauerkraut
- 3.5 ounces of bacon
- 2 onions
- 2 bay leaves
- salt, black pepper, nutmeg, to taste
- olive oil
1. Boil your potatoes.
2. Make puree adding flour, yolks with egg, black pepper and nutmeg. Your potato dough is ready now.
3. Chop your onions.
4. Fry chopped onions over medium heat for 5-7 minutes.
5. Add bay leaves, sauerkraut and 1 cup of water. Simmer over moderate heat for 20 minutes.
If you use fried sauerkraut, you need not to perform 3-5 stages of the recipe.
6. Form a “thick sausage” from your potato dough and cut it into “fingers” – potato dumplings German.
7. Boil German potato dumplings in light salted water for 5 minutes. Drain water and let them dry.
8. Cut your bacon into small cubes.
9. Toast bacon cubes in a pan over moderate heat for some minutes.
10. Add dumplings and fry until golden color.
11. Remove potato dumplings and slices bacon from the pan, put them on a plate and add fried sauerkraut with onion.
Your German potato dumplings with sauerkraut are ready.