The beet kvass is believed in many countries to be the most traditional Slavic fermented drink, which is called kvass. Actually, the most traditional kvass is the bread fermented drink. The beetroot and fruit recipes are more modern kvass versions. And today we are going to make fruit kvass (fermented fruit juice).
In fact, you may use any fruits or berries as you like. This recipe describes the blackcurrant kvass. But you may change blackcurrant any berries (cherry, blackberry, etc.).
- One pound of blackcurrant.
- 1/3 tsp lemon acid.
- 60 ounces of water.
- 1 tsp instant yeast.
- Wash the berries and pick their leaves, stems out.
- Place the blackcurrant in a saucepan and make berry puree by using a submerged blender.
- Add the water and bring the mashed berries to a boil. Remove from the heat and let it stand for 3-4 hours at room temperature.
- Remove the berries seeds and peels by wiping the blackcurrant puree through a sieve.
- Stir in the sugar and the lemon acid.
- Add the yeast.
- Mix very well and cover. let it stand for 10-12 hours at room temperature.
Now the fruit kvass (fermented berries juice) is nearly ready. Transfer it into a glass jar. Cover and refrigerate for one day.
- Do not reduce the quantity of sugar. If you add less sugar than necessary, your fruit juice won’t be fermented.
- Do not give the fermented fruit juice to your baby. It contains alcohol.
Is Fruit Kvass Healthy?
Yes. This drink can be called probiotic fruit juice. And so it is healthy.
Of course, it does not contain as many probiotics as some other fermented drink, for example, kefir. But the berry kvass is more healthy than any soft drinks or packaged fruit juices.