Fermented cranberry sauce is a delicious and healthy side for meat, especially poultry.
But we should make fermented cranberries before we prepare the sauce.
- 4-5 cups of cranberries (or cowberries);
- 5 tabs sugar;
- 8-10 cloves;
- 4-5 pimento seeds.
1.Wash the berries in cold boiled water. Drain.
2. Pour 1 liter of water in a saucepan and bring it to a boil. Add sugar and spices. Boil for 3-5 minutes over small heat. Then set aside ad remove the spices. Cool.
3. Put the cranberries in glass jars.
4. Pour the cold syrup in the jars.
5. Cover. Store in a refrigerator. In some hours, the fermented cranberries will be ready.
Fermented cranberries can store in a refrigerator for several months.
When you take some berries from the jar, get them out without the syrup.
When the berries in the jar will be over, you can drink the syrup. It is a good fresh beverage.
We have the fermented cranberries now.
But what about the sauce?
Actually, fermented cranberries or cowberries in themselves are a delicious relish for meat.
But you may press them if you want to make the true sauce.
Mix the fermented cranberries and other ingredients in a food processor. And pulse briefly until wanted consistency.
What kinds of ingredients besides the berries should you use for the sauce?
You may use:
- citruses – lemon, oranges, limes (their juice and peel);
- nuts – walnuts, pecans, almond;
- spices – cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, pepper;
- apples and its juice and so on, so on.
Do not be shy. Use your imagination.