Duck leg confit recipe takes a lot of time. So it is not a meal for every day. But it is appropriate for a holiday table. But the more as every hot fat dish with sauerkraut duck confit helps to prevent a hangover.
- 8 duck legs
- 2-4 small onions
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 8 pounds of sauerkraut
- 8 pickled apples (you can use any kind of pickled apples, but the best choice is Russian fermented apples)
- 1 teaspoon of caraway
- 1 teaspoon of hot pepper
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoon of sugar
- duck fat (you can use other kinds of fats or oils, but duck fat is strongly recommended)
- dry white wine
- ground black pepper and salt, to taste.
1. Season the duck legs on both sides with salt and ground black pepper. Be careful. It is easy to put too much salt in confit. Set aside for 2 hours.
2. Brown the duck legs on both sides, about 5-10 minutes per side. Use duck fat for the purpose.
3. Peel two onions and garlic, but do not cut them.
4. Put duck fat in a clay pot. Add your onions and garlic. Put the pot in the oven until vegetables beginning to brown.
5. Then add the duck legs. Cover. Add put the pot in the oven again for 5 hours. The temperature in the oven must be 280-320 °F.
6. Chop two onions. And fry them, occasionally stirring, until light golden.
7. Rinse sauerkraut and drain it.
8. Stir in sauerkraut. Pour dry white wine in the pan. Wine should cover vegetables. Simmer over medium heat until no odor of wine.
9. Then stir in hot pepper, caraway, black pepper and bay leaves. Simmer over small heat until liquid has evaporated.
10. Add 2 tablespoons of duck fat and sugar. Pour boiled water. Cover and simmer over small heat, occasionally stirring until sauerkraut is tender (about 1.5 hours).
11. Transfer stewed sauerkraut in a baking dish. Add the duck legs and pickled apples. Put the baking dish in a hot oven for 20 minutes.
At last duck legs confit is ready. Garnish with cranberries and serve it immediately.