Borscht, red beet soup, is the best-known Russian and Ukrainian soup in the world. Traditional borscht recipe uses cabbage. But there are some Russian beet soup recipes with sauerkraut. And this is one of them.
You can take for this recipe any kind of meat or do not use meat at all. But the right recipe of red borscht requires you to use beef.
- 1 pound of bone-in beef (beef plate, ribs, shoulder)
- 0.7 pounds of sauerkraut
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 beet
- 1-2 bay leaves
- 2-3 tablespoon of tomato paste
- 2-3 potatoes
- 3-4 fragrant peppercorns
- 3-4 cloves of garlic
- salt and sugar, to taste
- a little oil, butter or ghee (ghee is the best choice).
1. Boil beef broth. Cook your meat until it is fork tender.
2. Boil the beet and grate it.
3. Fry the grated beet in hot oil, butter or ghee over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Then add a little sauerkraut juice and tomato paste. Cook, occasionally stirring, for 5-7 minutes.
4. Chop the onion. Toast it over small heat until beginning to brown.
5. Grate the carrot and add it to the onion. And simmer vegetables over moderate heat for 5 minutes.
6. Rinse sauerkraut and drain it well.
7. Add sauerkraut to the pan with onion and carrot. Stir and fry for 2 minutes. Then pour a little sauerkraut juice, cover the pan and cook vegetables over moderate heat for 5-7 minutes.
8. Cut potatoes into moderate size pieces.
9. Set the pan with beef broth over medium heat and add pieces of potatoes, all your other vegetables, bay leaves and fragrant peppercorns.
10. Simmer borscht over small heat for 15 minutes. Then taste it and add salt and sugar if you want.
Never add salt and sugar to your borscht until it is nearly ready. You can oversalt your soup or make it too sweet.
11. Chop the garlic and add it to the borscht. Cover the saucepan and set aside.
Borscht with sauerkraut should be eaten hot and so you can serve it immediately. However, the soup taste will be much better if you eat it in a few hours. The best choice is cook the soup in the evening and eat it in the afternoon of the next day.
And yes, I almost forgot. It is necessary to serve Russian borscht with sour cream.