It is popularly believed that pork knuckles in beer are German recipe. It is correct. But it is very popular in Russia as well. That is a meal for cold winter weekend evening.
- 2 pork knuckles (6-9 pounds)
- 1 liter of dark beer
- 2 onions
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 3 bay leaves
- 7 fragrant peppers
- 3 cloves
- 1 pound of sauerkraut
- 1 sour apple
- 1 tsp of honey
- 1 tsp of mustard
- 3 tbsp. of soybean sauce
- salt, black pepper, sugar, caraway and coriander, to taste
- olive oil
1. Season the pork knuckles with salt and pepper.
2. Pour 900ml of beer and 1 liter of water into a saucepan. Bring to boil.
3. Then add the pork knuckles, one onion, cloves, garlic, fragment peppers and bay leaves. Cover and simmer over little heat for two hours.
4. Chop the another onion. Sauté it until beginning to brown.
5. Cut the apple into small cubes.
6. Stir in sauerkraut and simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes.
7. Then stir in the apple, caraway, coriander and sugar. Pour 200-300ml of beer brine. Cover and simmer over little heat for 20 minutes.
8. Make sauce. In a bowl, whisk together 100 ml dark beer, soybean sauce, mustard, honey.
9. Put the sauerkraut in bottom of a baking dish. Add the pork knuckles. Pour the sauce. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
That is all. Our pork knuckles with sauerkraut are ready now. Serve them immediately with mustard and beer.