The recipe contains a small amount of sugar. But it is still healthy and can give you probiotics.
- ½ of cabbage head (4-5 pounds)
- 1 big carrot
- 2 big green apples
- a handful of cranberries
- 2 tbsp. of salt (without iodine)
- 1 tbsp. of sugar
- 2-3 bay leaves
1. Chop the cabbage.
2. Grate the carrot.
3. Toss your vegetables, berries, salt, bay leaves and sugar together in a large bowl. Squeeze them together with your hands. The cabbage should give its juice.
4. Slice the apples.
5. Transfer a couple handfuls of cabbage into a jar. Then place some apple slices, then – cabbage again… Pack your vegetables and fruits into the jar as tightly as you can.
6. Cover the jar loosely and keep it at room temperature for 4 days. Poke a wooden spoon into the cabbage two times every day.
Your cranberry apple sauerkraut with is ready. Move the jar to your refrigerator.