Pumpkin stew with fermented cabbage recipe is similar to fried sauerkraut. But it has a milder taste. And it is more healthy because the recipe has a lot of beta-carotene of pumpkin.
As the traditional sauerkraut stew, you can use the recipe for cooking other meals, for example, for pizza topping.
- 8 pounds of sauerkraut;
- 7 pounds of pumpkin;
- 1 onion;
- olive oil;
- salt, black pepper, and sugar, to taste.
1. Chop the onion. And grate the pumpkin.
2. Rinse and drain the sauerkraut, if it is too sour.
3. Heat olive oil in a pot. Add the onion. Sauté 3-5 minutes, stirring, over medium heat.
4. Add the sauerkraut and a little water. Cover. Simmer over small heat for 20-25 minutes.
5. Stir in the grated pumpkin. Pour a little water if your pumpkin is not juicy. Add salt, pepper, and sugar to taste. Cover. Simmer for 20-25 minutes.
Serve pumpkin stew with sauerkraut hot or warm, or cold. Use it as a vegetarian main dish or as a side order to the meat meal.