Potato filled cutlets (zrazy) are very popular in Russia. We make them with various meat and vegetable fillings and, of course, with sauerkraut.
- 2.2 pounds of potato;
- 2 eggs;
- 4 tbsp. of flour;
- 1 big onion;
- 1 medium carrot;
- 0.7 pounds of sauerkraut;
- salt, olive oil, to taste.
1. Make mashed potatoes without adding milk and butter.
2. Stir in the eggs.
3. Add flour and salt. Knead mixture.
4. Chop the onion. Heat olive oil and sauté the onion for 2-3 minutes.
5. Grate the carrot. Add the carrot to the onion and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
6. Rinse your sauerkraut and drain. Add it to the vegetables. Pour 2-3 tbsp. of water. Cover. Simmer, occasionally stirring, over small heat for 20-25 minutes.
7. Place a tbsp. of potato mixture in the center of your palm. Make it flat.
8. Put a tbsp. of sauerkraut in the center of the flat potato shape.
Don’t use hot sauerkraut filling. It can damage potato dough.
9. Make a cutlet.
10. Heat olive oil in a non-stick pan. Place the cutlets in hot oil and fry for 4-5 minutes on each side.
Serve vegetable cutlets with sauerkraut hot, warm or cold.