Sauerkraut with caraway seeds recipe is used for cooking dishes with sauerkraut, for example, dumplings or pork ribs with sauerkraut, more often than traditional homemade sauerkraut in an enamel pan without any spices. Because if you have sauerkraut with spices you need not use additional quantity of them.
- 8-9.0 pounds of cabbage (without cabbage stumps)
- 6 medium carrots
- 5 ounces of salt (without iodine)
- 2-3 teaspoon of caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon of pimento
- 4-6 bay leaves
1. Chop cabbage with help of a Borner slicer or a sharp knife.
2. Grate the carrots.
3. Put your cabbage and carrots in a wide big bowl.
4. Add salt and stir cabbage and carrots up with salt really well.
5. You should use a big wide pan now. Put some cabbage leaves on the bottom of the pan.
6. Put some quantity of cabbage with carrot in the pan. Add a little your spices (caraway seeds, bay leaves, pimento). Ram cabbage down very well.
7. Put cabbage with carrot again and again… You should fill the pan completely.
8. It is the time to make weighting for your sauerkraut now. Put some cabbage leaves on the top of your cabbage. Then put a plate and something heavy.
9. Keep your pan with sauerkraut in a warm place. Pierce any wooden thing, such as a rolling pin or a large wooden spoon, through your sauerkraut twice a day.
10. Sauerkraut with caraway seeds will be ready in one week. Keep it in your fridge.