That recipe of fermented cabbage cannot be named traditional because it uses water. But the recipe does not contain any sugar and so it is a healthy meal with probiotics. And due to the presence of water this recipe is easy. You have not to squeeze cabbage in order that it gives its juice.
- 2.0-2.2 pounds of cabbage
- 5-6 ounces of carrot
- 5-6 ounces of pumpkin
- one handful of cranberries
- one onion
- 3 tbsp. of salt (without iodine)
1. Chop the cabbage with the help of a sharp knife or Borner slicer. Grate your carrot and pumpkin.
2. Transfer the vegetables to a big bowl. Stir in cranberries and salt. Don’t squeeze the vegetables. Only stir them well.
3. Pour 2,5 cups of water in the bowl.
4. Put a plate on the top of cabbage. And then put something heavy on the plate.
5. Let stand for 4-5 days at the room temperature.
6. Uncover the sauerkraut every day and poke 2-3 holes through the cabbage. Use a wooden thing only (rolling pin or spoon).
That is all. Your sauerkraut with pumpkin is ready. Serve it with olive oil.