Sauerkraut with apples recipe is popular in Russia. The recipe with apples is sweeter than traditional homemade sauerkraut. However, the main feature of the recipe is that sauerkraut with apples is simple as apples quickly and easily give a lot of juice. Namely, a large amount of juice is essential for the proper fermentation of cabbage.
- one big head of cabbage
- 2-3 green apples
- three medium carrots
- 3.5-ounce of salt (without iodine)
In addition, you have to have a big bowl, an enamel saucepan, and a wooden rolling pin.
1. Remove the top bad leaves of each head of cabbage. Cut the cabbage into four parts and remove the stumps.
3. Chop the cabbage with help of Borner slicer or with a sharp knife.
4. Put the shredded cabbage in a bowl and knead it with your hands.
5. Grate the carrots.
4. Stir carrot with shredded cabbage and salt in the bowl and knead them with your hands again. Cabbage and carrot must give the juices.
5. Cut the apples into thin slices. Do not remove the peel apples.
6. Stir slices of apples with cabbage and carrot.
7. Put your cabbage from the bowl to an enamel saucepan.
8. Place a plate on the cabbage and put something heavy on it, for example, a water bottle.
9. Sauerkraut with apples will be ready in 3 days. During these 3 days, you should take the water bottle and the plate away and stick a wooden rolling pin into your cabbage. You should do it some times every day. If you do not, the apple sauerkraut will be bitter.
You should keep watch that your cabbage is under its juice all the time. If it is not it will deteriorate.
10. After 3 days your sauerkraut and apples will be ready and you will be able to put it in your fridge.