The sauerkraut casserole recipe is not Russian. It is Hungarian. But the recipe includes sauerkraut and so it suited for the website about Russian sauerkraut.
- 3 ounces of long-grain rice
- 1 sweet pepper
- 5 – 9.0 ounces of sausages
- 9 – 1.0 pounds of sauerkraut
- 1 teaspoon of dried marjoram
- 2 pieces of rye bread
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 1 onion
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 5 teaspoon of corn starch
- salt and black pepper
1. Cook your rice.
2. Rinse sauerkraut with cold water.
3. Slice the sausages.
4. Chop your paprika and onion.
5. Fry the sliced sausages in your oil.
6. Remove them from oil and fry the onion with sweet pepper in the same oil.
7. Add your sauerkraut and marjoram. Stir all ingredients up well. Cover your pan and stew over medium heat for 15 minutes.
8. Make the sauce. In a bowl, whisk together eggs, cornstarch, sour cream, salt and black pepper.
9. Mix cooked rice with stewed sauerkraut.
(If you use fried sauerkraut, you need not stew sauerkraut now. You are able to mix the cooked rice with fried sauerkraut at once).
10. Grease the bottom of a baking dish.
11. Put a little sauerkraut with rice on the bottom of a baking dish. Then put a few sausages slices on your rice. Then – rice with sauerkraut again…
12. Slice your pieces of bread.
13. Put sliced bread on the top of your casserole. Pour the sauce.
14. Bake the sausage and sauerkraut casserole for 40 minutes in a hot oven.
Your sauerkraut and sausage casserole is ready.