Vitamin K2, or menaquinone, is a fat-soluble molecule, which is produced by the intestinal microflora and found in animal, fermented and dairy foods.
Some health benefits of vitamin k2 include:
- improving heart health [1, 2];
- prevention of fractures and reducing the risk of osteoporosis [3, 4];
- protection of teeth [5, 6];
- prevention of cancer [7, 8].
Until recently, vitamin K2 deficiency was rare. But the widespread use of antibiotics and statins, and nutrient-depleted diet did their dirty deed. And now a lot of people suffer from vitamin K2 deficiency.
You can take supplements with K2. However, it is not the best choice, because they are synthetic. And some of the supplements may have low quality. Eating foods high in vitamin k2 is the right decision.
What Foods Have Vitamin K2?
K2 has some different subtypes. MK-4 and MK-7 are the most important.
Dietary sources of vitamin K2 MK-4 are butter and other high-fat dairy products, liver from grass-fed cows. There is also a lot of K2 in egg yolks from organic hens.
K2 MK-7 forms in the fermentation process. And so good sources of vitamin K2 MK-7 are fermented foods. And sauerkraut one of the best of them.
In fact, natto contains the biggest quantity of K2. You can obtain 100% DV (500 mcg) from 2 oz of the food.
But there is one problem. People who have Westerner’s palate cannot eat a lot of natto. And so consuming sauerkraut and other fermented vegetables is a more pleasant way for getting K2.
Besides that, the main quantity of vitamin K2 comes from the gut flora.
- Fermented cabbage contains a big amount of probiotics.
- Sauerkraut has much prebiotics, which is food for beneficial bacteria.
- Fermented cabbage is more digestible than dairy fermented foods, which are useful for intestinal flora as well.
How to Eat Sauerkraut to Obtain Vitamin K2?
The rules are the same as for eating fermented cabbage for weight loss.
- You should eat traditional sauerkraut only. It means that your fermented cabbage should not contain any sugar and water. But it may have various spices and other ingredients. For example, you can eat sauerkraut with beet and spices.
- And it is necessary to eat raw sauerkraut. All probiotics die if you will heat them.
There are a lot of benefits of K2. Unfortunately, many people have a deficiency of the vitamin today.
The good natural sources of k2 are fermented foods, for example, natto or kefir. And sauerkraut is the best of them.