Blintzes are the traditional Russian food. As a filling for them, we use various ingredients: minced meat, cottage cheese, jam and fruits, potato and, of course, sauerkraut.
Ingredients for crepe batter:
- 9 ounces of flour
- 0.5 liters of milk or kefir
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 2 eggs
Ingredients for filling:
- 1 carrot
- 1 onion
- 1-1.2 pounds of sauerkraut
- olive oil
1. Rinse sauerkraut in cold water and drain.
2. Chop onion and grate carrot. Sauté vegetables over medium-high heat until they and beginning to golden.
3. Stir in drained fermented cabbage. Cover and simmer over medium until vegetables are tender.
Sauerkraut crepe filling is ready.
If you have fried fermented cabbage, you can skip 1-3 steps.
4. In a bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, salt, sugar and oil.
5. Add sifted flour into the bowl carefully. Stir thoroughly with a mixer. If your use kefir your batter will be very stiff, if so add a little warm water and stir well again.
6. Heat up a pan, then put oil in. Ladle in your batter to thinly coat the bottom of the pan. The amount depends on the size of the pan. Swirl your pan around until it is evenly coating the bottom. Bake until the batter is no longer wet. Then flip it to the other side. Your crepes should be pale golden and soft.
Continue to bake crepes and stack the finished ones up on a plate.
7. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
8. Spoon two-four tablespoons of the sauerkraut filling into the crepe.
9. Fold every crepe in half over the cabbage filling. Then fold the two sides up and over the filling.
10. Butter a baking dish. Lay the blintzes into it. Put a small piece of butter on the crepe.
11. Bake for 20 minutes.
Serve the Russian blintzes with sauerkraut hot with broth or tea.