That pickled red cabbage is called “fermented” sometimes. It is not correct if be honest because this red sauerkraut contains apple vinegar. But it is quite difficult to make the real fermented red cabbage. And so red sauerkraut usually has vinegar.
- 2 pounds of red cabbage
- 1.5 tablespoon of salt (without iodine)
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 4 bay leaves
- 6-8 cloves
- 6-8 black peppers
- 4 tablespoons of apple vinegar
- 4 cloves of garlic
1. Chop red cabbage with a Borner slicer or sharp knife.
2. Grind the chopped cabbage with salt. The cabbage must give its juice.
3. Put cloves, bay leaves and black peppers in jars.
4. Stuff the chopped cabbage in the jars as tightly as you can.
5. Pour apple vinegar in each jar.
6. Add the cloves of garlic in the jars.
7. Dissolve sugar in 400ml boiling water.
8. Pour sugar syrup in each jar with cabbage.
9. Cover the jars. Keep them at room temperature for 2-3 days. After this time, pickled red cabbage will be ready. Store it in your refrigerator.
Red-sauerkraut is a good side meal to boiled potatoes.