Legs of pork with sauerkraut is a dish for cold winter day. It came to Russia from the Swiss and Austrian Alps. It is said that pork legs with sauerkraut recipe warms not only body but also soul.
You might think that a recipe with pork legs is a heavy meal. But due to healthy sourness of fermented cabbage it is not.
- 2 small pork legs
- 1.3-1.5 pounds of sauerkraut
- 1 small jar of pickled mushrooms
- 1-2 bay leaves
- salt, to taste
- 2-3 fragrant peppercorns
1. Pork legs wash well and put in a saucepan with cold light salted water.
2. Bring to a boil and remove scum that rises to the top of broth. Then add bay leaves and fragrant peppercorns. Simmer over small heat for 3 hours.
3. Transfer carefully pork legs to a pan.
4. Add sauerkraut. Do not rinse your fermented cabbage before you add it to the pork legs. This dish likes sourness and your sauerkraut should be sour.
5. Pour some quantity of sauerkraut juice and pork broth into the pan. Cover and bring to a simmer over low heat. Cook for 40-60 minutes.
6. Add pickled mushrooms and simmer for 5 minutes.
Pork legs with sauerkraut are ready. Serve them immediately.