There are many recipes of pickled watermelon. This one gives you the opportunity to make the real fermented watermelon with lots of probiotics. Mustard lends vigorous taste to this watermelon.
- 1 watermelon
- 1 tablespoon of salt (without iodine)
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of mustard flour
1. Remove watermelon flesh from rind and cut pulp in some pieces. You should obtain nearly 5.5 pounds of watermelon pulp for one 3-liter jar.
2. Mix salt, sugar and mustard flour.
3. Put sliced watermelon pulp in a 3-liter jar. Add mixture of sugar, salt and mustard. You do not need to distribute the mixture evenly between the pieces of watermelon flesh. Watermelon give its juice and all your ingredients will be mixed up.
If you have a medium watermelon (11-13 pounds), you need to use two 3-liter jars. And you should make the second portion of the mixture (salt, sugar and mustard) for the second jar.
Do not try to put all the pulp in one jar. Then watermelon will be fermented it takes more space. The best approach is filling only a half of every jar.
4. Cover the jars and keep them at the room temperature for 3 days. You should shake the jar a few times on the first day. It is necessary for a uniform distribution of the mixture of salt, sugar and mustard on the flesh of watermelon.
Pickled watermelon is ready now. You can put the contents of the two jars in one and keep in your fridge. Theoretically, fermented watermelon can be stored in a refrigerator for 2-3 months but indeed it is eaten immediately.