The easy mashed potato pie with sauerkraut does not have a strict list of ingredients. If you do not have dried mushrooms you can use fresh ones but more. Alternatively, you can use minced meat instead mushrooms. The two key ingredients of the pie are sauerkraut and potatoes.
- 2.0-2.2 pounds of potato
- 0.6 pounds of sauerkraut (you can use any kinds of sauerkraut – traditional or quick).
- 1.4 ounces of dried mushrooms
- 1 onion
- 3 tablespoons of semolina
- vegetable oil
- salt, to taste
1. Boil and mash the potatoes with a half of your sauerkraut and 2 tbsp. of semolina. If your sauerkraut has juice, add it in mashed potato too. You should make thick mashed potatoes. If it is liquid one, add 1 tbsp. of semolina.
2. Boil your dried mushrooms and drain them well.
3. Chop onion.
4. Sauté chopped onion and mushrooms in vegetable oil for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Mix mushrooms with the second half of your sauerkraut.
6. Grease a baking dish with vegetable oil and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of semolina.
7. Put mashed potatoes in your baking dish and smooth it making edges.
8. Put mushrooms with sauerkraut on the mashed potato.
9. Bake mashed potato pie with sauerkraut for 20 minutes in a hot oven.
Serve your easy potato pie immediately. As nearly all potato dishes the pie is delicious only when it is fresh and hot.