That is a rather exotic recipe for sauerkraut. But some people in Russia like it. They think that sauerkraut with juniper berries more crispy and spicy than the common one. And it has some scents of the forest.
- 1 medium head of cabbage;
- 2-3 cloves of garlic;
- 1 big carrot;
- 1 tbsp. of salt (without iodine);
- 40 fresh juniper berries.
1. Chop the cabbage and garlic.
2. Grate the carrot.
3. Toss all vegetables and juniper berries together in a large pan or bowl. Add salt.
4. Squeeze all ingredients together with your hands. The cabbage has to release its juice.
You should toss a half of vegetables and ½ tbsp. initially if your pan or bowl is not enough big. Squeeze. And then add the other half of vegetables and salt. And squeeze again.
5. Then put something heavy on the top of the cabbage. Allow the pan with vegetables to sit at room temperature for 3 days.
6. Uncover your pan twice every day. And poke a few holes through the cabbage. Use only a wooden thing, for example, a rolling pin for the purpose.
Sauerkraut with juniper berries has very pungent odor during its fermentation. Some people cannot stand it and so keep theirs pans with cabbage in a bathroom until the process of fermentation will be over.
7. Transfer your sauerkraut in glass jars in 3 days. And place them in a refrigerator.
You can already eat the sauerkraut. But it will be more delicious if you wait for a week.