In spite of the fact that the sauerkraut recipe uses sugar, it is very healthy. Sea-buckthorn has so many health benefits that it easily compensates for the presence of sugar in the recipe.
That is healthy fermented cabbage recipe.
- 2 pounds of cabbage (be careful – choose only the right kind of a cabbage head)
- 2-3 tbsp. of sea-buckthorn (fresh or frozen)
- 3-4 fragrant peppers
- 1 tbsp. of sugar
- 1 tbsp. of salt (without iodine)
- Chop the cabbage with a help of a sharp knife or Borner slicer.
2. Mix the cabbage and sea-buckthorn in a big bowl.
3. Transfer the mixture to a glass jar. Press down firmly. Add the fragrant pepper.
4. Add salt and sugar. Pour in cold water. It must cover the cabbage.
5. Cover your jar with a lid or heavy towel and allow it to sit at room temperature for 50-60 hours. Stick a wooden spoon or another wooden object into your fermented cabbage 1-two times every day.
Keep homemade sauerkraut with sea-buckthorn in a refrigerator. It cannot store for a long time as the recipe is wet (uses water). You should eat fermented cabbage with sea-buckthorn for 2-3 weeks.