If you want to cook traditional sauerkraut with many probiotics make it on this recipe. Besides homemade sauerkraut in jars is healthy it is crispy and very tasty.
- 11 pounds of cabbage
- 1 big carrot
- salt, to taste (without iodine)
- 5 tablespoon of sugar
1. Remove upper leaves from your head of cabbage.
2. Chop cabbage with help of a very sharp knife or a Borner slicer.
3. Grate your carrot.
4. Put chopped cabbage in a big bowl.
5. Mash the cabbage with your hands. Crease your cabbage as if you knead dough. It should give its juice.
6. Stir in salt and sugar.
How much salt should you add to your cabbage?
To taste. Cabbage should be salted but not very much.
7. Mix salted cabbage with grated carrot.
8. Ram cabbage with carrot in a big jar. Put something heavy on the top. You can use a water bottle, for example.
9. Put the jar in a big bowl or on a big plate. When the cabbage is fermenting, it gives a lot of juice. Therefore, you should have a bowl under your jar with cabbage.
10. Homemade sauerkraut in a jar will be ready in 3 days. Every day (in the morning and in the evening), you should remove the bottle with water from your sauerkraut. And stick a wooden rolling-pin in sauerkraut to the bottom.
11. After 3 days, remove the water bottle and cover the jar.
Keep your jar with sauerkraut in a cool place.