There are several recipes for beet kvass in Russia. Some of them use yeast, some – whey, other – a lot of salt. This recipe beet kvass without whey is one of the simplest and the most traditional method.
- 1 big beetroot or 2-3 small ones;
- 4 tablespoons of sugar;
- 1 piece of stale rye bread;
- 1-2 cloves of garlic smashed (optional);
- 8-9 raisins (optional).
Use a bright dark beetroot only. Don’t choose a beetroot with white rings.
- Grate the beetroot.
- Put it in a big glass jar.
- Pour 2 liters of cold boiled water.
- Stir in the sugar. Add the piece of bread.
- Cover with a piece of cheesecloth.
Keep the jar at room temperature for 2-4 days. Remove the foam every day. The exact fermentation time depends on the temperature in your room.How to understand that homemade beet kvass is ready?
It is easy. The foam won’t form anymore when the kvass is ready.
Strain the beverage and pour it in glass bottles or jars.
Put the bottles in a fridge for one day. That all. Now your beet kvass is ready finally. And you can sip it.
How to Use It?
- You can drink your homemade beet kvass as a freshener, especially in hot weather.
- Use it for cooking cold summer soup.
- Add to healthy smoothies.
Is Beet Kvass Safe?
One of health benefits of beet kvass is its opportunity to reduced blood pressure. The traditional medicine even says that the beverage cures hypertension. And it may be a problem for people who have low blood pressure.
Other contraindications for drinking beet kvass are:
- kidney and gallbladder stones;
- stomach ulcer symptoms.
But don’t think that homemade beet kvass is a harmful drink. Not at all.
This beverage has many health benefits. It:
- shows cholesterol-lowering effect;
- boosts your immune system;
- helps the body detox and so on.
By and large, benefits and side effects of beet kvass are similar to beetroot juice. But it is healthier because kvass is a fermented product and so it contains probiotics.