Nearly all Russian women know that sauerkraut and other fermented vegetables are healthy nutrition during pregnancy. And that is an explanation why is so.
- Are you looking for any home remedies for pregnancy nausea? You have just found them. That are sauerkraut and other fermented vegetables and fruits.
To cope with nausea during pregnancy eat sauerkraut. You can eat it as much as you want for the management of your morning sickness.
- Most moms-to-be have heartburn during pregnancy. The culprit of the symptoms is progesterone. That hormone relaxes muscles including the stomach valve.
Sauerkraut is a kind of home remedies for heartburn during pregnancy that is popular in Russia.
To get rid of heartburn during pregnancy drink 2-3 tbsp. of sauerkraut juice before every meal.
- 50% of women have constipation at some point of their pregnancy. And again the culprit is progesterone that relaxes muscles including the digestive tract.
All types of fermented food are good constipation remedies during pregnancy. They provide you probiotics and prebiotics, which fix the digestive problems.
One cause of the piles during pregnancy is constipation. Sauerkraut cures constipation. So it is a natural remedy for hemorrhoids.
- Insomnia and anxiety are other two symptoms of pregnant women. Sauerkraut is a widely known home remedy for treatment such psychological problems.
- Sauerkraut contains substance indole-3-carbinol. The study of Linus Pauling Institute at Oregon State University in Corvallis has shown that pregnant women’s intake of indole-3-carbinol could help protect their children from cancer.
- Anemia is a usual problem for women at third-trimester pregnancy. And so moms-to-be need in foods which rich in iron. 8 ounces of sauerkraut contain 2 mg of iron (RDA for pregnant women – 30 mg).
- Folic acid is another substance, which is very useful for pregnant women. Folate plays a great role in the development of baby’s neural tube and in the production of red blood cells. Besides that folic acid is essential for DNA replication.
1 cup of fermented cabbage gives you 3.4 mcg of folate (RDA for pregnant women – 600 mcg).
- The immune system of moms-to-be is weak. Every infection including flu is very dangerous for them. Sauerkraut is a good thing for intestine microflora. Only healthy microflora can guarantee good work of the immune system. So sauerkraut is a method to boost immunity during pregnancy.
- Pregnant women should gain weight. But sometimes they gain too much weight. That may be dangerous both them and their babies. Sauerkraut is a superfood for weight loss.
- Many women have some problems with their skin during pregnancy. It may be chloasma or acne. Sauerkraut helps remove these skin problems because it contains a lot of probiotics. Furthermore, you can use sauerkraut for making homemade facial masks, which are helpful, even for moms-to-be.
What kind of fermented cabbage you should eat while pregnant?
It is recommended eating the traditional raw sauerkraut and other fermented vegetables and fruits. Do not use quick sauerkraut with vinegar because these meals do not contain probiotics. And do not eat spicy sauerkraut (this one, for example), because it may irritate your stomach.