Some people in Russia call the recipe “pickled radishes”. It is not correct because this recipe does not content any kind of vinegar. Radishes are not pickled. As traditional pickled apples, radishes are the real fermented healthy vegetables.
- green onion;
- bay leaves;
- caraway seeds;
- black pepper.
1 tbs. salt per one liter water.
Cook 2 liters salt brine if you have a 3-liter glass jar.
You do not need use cilantro only. You may add parsley, dill, basil, or all these spices together.
- Cut the onion in half.
- Do not cut the small cloves of garlic, and cut the big ones in half.
- Cut the tops of radishes off.
- Add salt, caraway seeds, bay leaves, and other spices if you use them to water and bring it to a boil. Then set the saucepan with salt brine aside and allow it to cool.
- While the salt brine is cooling, put the vegetables in a jar. Pack a big glass jar with the radishes, cilantro, garlic and green onion. Pack the vegetables tightly to the top.
- Pour the cold brine over the radishes. Cover the jar loosely and place it in a tray. When the vegetables are fermenting, the brine can overflow the jar.
The Lacto-fermented radishes will be ready in 2.5-3.0 days.
The fermented vegetables of the recipe don’t have as many probiotics as the traditional sauerkraut because we use water. But radishes are not juicy. And so we can not ferment them without water.