Fermented marrows are great spicy side dish to meat or chicken dishes. But they nearly don’t have probiotics because they are cooked in salt brine not in dry salt. However, they are still useful for weight loss as contain a few calories and a lot of fiber.
- 3 pounds of young vegetable marrows
- 4-5 cloves of garlic
- a big bunch dill (it is good if you have mature dill)
- 3-4 fragrant peppercorns
- 2 ounces of salt (without iodine)
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 3-4 horseradish leaves (not necessarily but it is good if you use them).
1. Remove the stem end of your marrows and cut them into 1-1.5-inch pieces.
2. Put the marrow in a big pan. Add garlic, dill, horseradish leaves.
3. Pour 1 liter of water in another saucepan. Add fragrant peppercorns, bay leaves and salt. Boil your salt brine.
4. Pour the salt brine into the pan with marrows. Keep the pan for 3-4 hours at the room temperature and then place in a cool place (in your fridge) for 3 days.
That is all. Your fermented marrow squashes are ready now. You cannot keep them for a long time. They should be eaten quickly.