That is a traditional recipe for Lacto-fermented cabbage, which was adopted for carrots. Don’t add chili pepper if you don’t like such spicy food.
- 6.6 pounds of carrots
- 1-2 heads of garlic
- 4.5-5.5 inches of ginger
- 1 bell pepper
- 1-2 chili peppers
- 7-8 ounces of cabbage
- 4 tbsp. of sea salt
- Grate the carrots.
2. Chop the cabbage.
3. Grind the garlic, chili pepper and ginger in a blender to a paste.
4. Add the bell pepper and cabbage to the paste and grind it again.
5. Divide all your grated carrot into 3-4 parts. And put every part in an individual bowl.
6. Spread the salt evenly between the bowls with the carrot.
7. Squeeze the carrot and salt together with your hands. The carrot should release its juice.
8. Spread the paste evenly between the bowls with the carrot. Stir well using a spoon.
Be careful! The paste is very spicy and so don’t mix it with your hands.
9. Transfer all parts of the carrot in one big bowl.
10. Put something heavy on the top of the carrot.
11. Allow it to sit at room temperature for 3-4 days.
12. When put the fermented carrot in jars and keep them in a refrigerator.
Use your fermented carrot as a salad with various dishes.