This easy sauerkraut recipe with sweet pepper is called occasionally “Moscow sauerkraut”. The recipe is easy and quick but you have to eat your sauerkraut in 1-2 weeks because it cannot be kept in a long time.
- 2,5 pounds of cabbage
- 1 tablespoon salt (without iodine)
- a little pepper
- 3-4 bay leaves
- 1 big carrot
- 1 big paprika
1. Chop cabbage with help of a knife or a Borner slicer.
2. Grate your sweet pepper or chop it with a knife.
3. Grate your carrot.
4. Put all your vegetables in an enamel saucepan or in a big bowl.
5. Add salt and a little pepper. Stir all ingredients up really well.
6. Add bay leaves.
7. Put something heavy on your cabbage.
8. Your sauerkraut with paprika will be nearly ready in 24 – 36 hours. Time of sauerkraut fermentation depends on the temperature in your room: than the temperature higher than the sauerkraut will be ready sooner.
9. Put the sauerkraut in a jar and place the jar in your refrigerator. Wait another six – 12 hours and can eat it.