There is a huge quantity of pork stew recipes in the world. This recipe is one of the easiest. However, it is delicious inasmuch as the sourness of fermented cabbage is a perfect complement to pork stew.
- 1.3 pounds of pork
- 3-4 potatoes
- 0.9 pounds of sauerkraut
- 2 onions
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- olive oil
1. Cut potatoes and pork in big cutes.
2. Chop your onions.
3. Pour a small amount of olive oil in a large skillet. Heat the oil and add cubes of pork. Cook, stirring, over medium heat for 10 minutes. Then add chopped onion and simmer over small heat, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
If you have fat pork, do not use any oil at all. Fry pork in its own fat.
4. Rinse sauerkraut and drain.
5. Add sauerkraut to potatoes with pork. Stir. Add a bay leaf, sugar and pepper. Salt if you like. But be careful with salt: you use sauerkraut and it is salty. Pour ½-1 cup of hot water or broth. Stir very well. Cover and simmer over small heat, stirring occasionally, for 50 minutes.
Pork stew with sauerkraut is ready.