You can cook the soup with lentils and sauerkraut using water, vegetable broth or meat broth. So that meal may be a vegetarian sauerkraut soup and a dish for people who eat meat.
- 1 cup brown or red lentils;
- 3 small potatoes;
- 1 big onion;
- 1 medium carrot;
- 7 ounces of sauerkraut;
- 1-2 tbsp. tomato paste;
- olive oil;
- salt, black pepper, to taste;
- 1-2 bay leaves;
- ½ tbsp. dried dill or other dried greens;
- 5 liters of water or broth (any kind you want – vegetable or meat).
1. Cut the potatoes into medium pieces.
2. Rinse the lentils.
3. Put the lentils in a saucepan. Pour cold water. Bring to a boil. Remove the foam.
4. Add the potatoes and cook over small heat for 20 minutes.
5. Grate the carrot.
6. Chop the onion.
7. Warm the olive oil in a pan. Add the onion and carrot. Sauté, stirring, over small heat for 5 minutes.
8. Rinse the sauerkraut. Stir it in the vegetables. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
9. Add the tomato paste and cook for 2-3 minutes.
10. Transfer the vegetables to the saucepan with lentils. Add salt, pepper, bay leaves and dried greens.
11. Cook for 5-7 minutes.