One traditional Mexican meal called Albondigas soup. This is a flavorful meatball soup with a lot of vegetables. We, in Russia, have our «Albondigas soup» which contains many vegetables as well.
- 1.3 pounds of minced meat (any kind meat that you like);
- 1.5 cup of sauerkraut;
- 0.5 cup of pearl barley or rice (you can also cook without any grains if you want to have light soup);
- 3-5 medium tomatoes;
- 3-4 small potatoes;
- 1 onion;
- 1 big carrot;
- 1 bell pepper;
- 2 bay leaves;
- 2-4 cloves of garlic;
- 3 cloves;
- 1 tbsp. of Ajika (not necessary);
- turmeric, black pepper, parsley, dill and salt, to taste;
- olive oil.
1. Make the albondigas. Add a little salt and black pepper to the minced meat. Form balls and roll them between your palms.
2. Cook pearl barley or rice.
3. Cut the potatoes into cubes.
4. Heat the olive oil in a pan. Once hot, add the chopped onion and bell pepper. Sauté the vegetables 3 to 4 minutes.
5. Then add the grated carrot and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
6. Add the cubes of tomatoes. Cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes over medium heat.
7. Stir in Ajika and turmeric. Cook 1 minute and set aside.
8. Pour water in a big stockpot. Bring it to a boil and put the albondigas. Boil them until half and transfer to a bowl.
9. Put the sauerkraut in the stockpot and cook it for 20-25 minutes.
10. Add the cubes of potatoes, vegetables, albondigas and pearl barley. Cook for 5-10 minutes.
11. Add minced garlic, cloves, bay leaves, parsley, dill and salt. Cook for 1 minute.
Don’t serve the albondigas soup with sauerkraut immediately. Let it cool for 20-40 minutes.